Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper
Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper on Windows 10.
|Name||Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper|
|Initial release||February 14th, 1998 (24 years ago)|
|Latest version release date||February 14th, 2008 (14 years ago)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
The Microsoft Agent Scripting Helper was a software developed by Bellcraft Technologies. It allowed for users to record and playback presentations made with Microsoft Agent. The graphical user interface allows the user to perform actions such as making the Microsoft Agent character do animations, speaking, or moving to an area on the screen. Other features include website integration, Microsoft Powerpoint presentation integration, VBS scripts, and interactive presentations.
Use for Microsoft Agent videos
MASH started being used for Microsoft Agent videos as early as the 2nd community. The first known appearance of MASH being used for Microsoft Agent videos is dated around 2006-2007. Afterward, MASH became the main program that was used to produce Microsoft Agent content. As of 2021, nearly all Microsoft Agent videos are made with MASH.
Reaction to Microsoft Agent discontinuation
Following Microsoft's announcement of discontinuing Microsoft Agent, Bellcraft Technologies announced on their site that MASH will become freeware and drop the $25 cost. A later announcement stated, "This website and software will remain here for historical reasons, and users still using Windows XP." However, despite the message stating the site will stay up, some components of the site have broken over the years. Notable components on the site that don't work as intended include the download section that contains text to speech engines for different languages, and also the Microsoft Sam, Mary, and Mike voices. The MASH site was last updated on September 20th, 2013, with no announcement about MASH since then.
- MASH originally costed $25 USD before being declared freeware.
- MASH was briefly featured on Vinesauce Joel's "Windows 8 Destruction" livestream, but the application was never properly installed.
- The first Microsoft Agent video produced with MASH was a fighting video in 2006-2007.
- Nearly all Microsoft Agent videos are produced with MASH.
- Early versions of MASH came with a free trial before asking the user to pay.
- MASH has a full setup and a mini setup. The full setup contains Microsoft Agent 2.0, MASH, Visual Basic 6.0 runtime, Lernout & Hauspie TruVoice TTS English, Microsoft Speech Control Panel, and Microsoft's "Genie" character. The mini setup only contained MASH and is intended for those who already have Microsoft Agent components installed.
- Running MASH in compatibility mode for Windows 98 allows for character transparency on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 (Aero theme only).
- According to the "About MASH" under the Help menu inside the application, the last version of MASH was released on its 10th anniversary